Monday 3 September 2012

Beginning again?

After much time of hoping to write a new Blog post here it finally is.

Setting the Scene

I aim to start September 2012 as a new year and as much of my work is schools and community based the beginning of the year often feels like September!

When I began working in the Peak Methodist Circuit I was employed as a Children and Families worker, something which as I mentioned before was a bit unexpected at the time. Since then I have had a cracking year grappling with issues of mission facing my rural area. Through the families work role I have really felt able to connect with communities, but also learn of the needs and struggles. This has led to some truly amazing work in schools where I have been able to pioneer Mentoring/accompanying in one school in this circuit. I am still not fully sure which it is, mentoring and accompanying that is. I believe it is mentoring but this is something I will always deliver through an accompanying lens because that is my style, but more importantly my value of each individuals ability to transform their lives.

New direction new vision

Before I travel to far with that aside I begin September 2012 with a new role, encompassing that which has gone before but expanded to include working with young people 11+. This is an answer to prayer not just by me but some I know who were praying also. It seemed to me that the circuit could operate more efficiently. With two Lay Workers covering a circuit of 16-18 churches and chapels, with different roles, it seemed a little counter productive. This tied in with suggestions by our chair of district to think about how we do Circuit in the future, God was building momentum on this idea! I now operate in one half of the circuit, meaning I am covering roughly 9 churches and chapels, something I was doing across whole Circuit previously. I am a little nervous however as a professional at Green belt dismissed this style of working as dangerous, whilst others have warned of the difficulty of playing a role which may lead to being everything to all people. All I can do is follow what I believe God is saying to me and the vision that builds from within.  

In this new role I hope to continue linking up with entire communities, family units and so on. I developed a simple strategy last year to aid with how I did this. Not knowing how to enter diagrams yet, it goes something like this.


  • Establishing links with local churches (Methodist and ecumenical) 
  • Set a meeting if agreed with headteacher of local school to offer services based on need of the school and my gifts and abilities.
  • Link with community groups, for example Sure Start Children's Centre in Bakewell, and Indian themed evening in Baslow. 
I believe working alongside key elements of community will mean I am well placed to work with entire communities. Key elements in my are to a community are still local schools and churches. Particularly in the smallest of small villages everything revolves around these things. 

Having Faith 

I believe I had a vision for the changes in my role which the strategy has developed from. I am trying to be more proactive when I believe a vision has been given, though this is not always easy. From a faith perspective God has provided me with opportunities to share this vision, and brought people alongside it to increase it's volume. On a human and sometimes practical level I am learning that within churches it is paramount to enthusiastically project your vision, gaining allies and striding forwards. As always there is an element of self belief and confidence, a struggle for many I am sure but something i have taken great strides in over the past 4 years.  

Finally I was encouraged today by 'The Word for Today', which today I think was talking about Vision, but the importance of alignment this with God's will. Here is a little snippet.

W. A. Criswell noted that before a stone was laid in St. Paul's Cathedral, Sir Christopher Wren saw it in his mind. Before he struck a chisel against marble, Michelangelo saw the mighty Moses and purposed it in his heart. Why should it surprise us then that the designer and architect of the universe should have a plan and purpose for His creation? (UCB) 


No comments:

Post a Comment