Friday 13 April 2012

My Story From July 2011 - April 2012

Having been reflecting on the story of my life for a slot at Story Cafe in Buxton next week I felt it was apt to kick off my Blog by summarising my past year.

By the end of July 2011 I was relived to find myself completed on my BA with Honours in Youth and Community work with Applied Theology, graduating with Gloucester University, via the Centre for Youth Ministry course. It had been a tough time, but an experience I wouldn't have changed for the world. Rural Youth Ministry to Urban Ministry, to a truly life changing time in Newport Wales, on my second year additional placement (part of JNC requirements).

What led to that time with CYM is part of my early story, what followed that experience however brings me to today, with some truly amazing experience's to boot!

After 5 months of Applications and trawling through Youth Work Magazine web site, (amongst others) I came to Bakewell in the Peak District for my second interview in the process. I came applying for the Youth and Missing Generations post, having prepared a presentation from the findings of my dissertation, and a compilation of my experiences so far. What I ended up with was the job of Children and Families worker (I take a pause at this point, as it took a while for this to sink in). Following Gods lead I was reminded of  my time in Newport. Here I was based with Ringland Community Association. Several experiences stretched my horizons in that time, in particular coming alongside adults in an adult education setting, and working with many family/community groups. I am not entirely sure of the exact aspect on which I draw for my current post, accept that it showed me a way to work with people across generations, not just with young people, but of course including young people. This was something that had been in my thoughts when writing my dissertation, I want to bring the generations together with mutual understanding and respect, this I believe will go some of the way to mending are broken communities, and the society they are within.

I became a dad in August 2011 kicking off my time in the Peaks. God blessed Kirsty and I with somewhere to live and a son, Micah Andrew Loader. We were welcomed into the community of Bakewell and into the wider family of the Peak Methodist Circuit. There were two defining moments that confirmed to Kirsty and I we had been accepted in Bakewell, the first came from a lady in our local Deli, who through conversation with Kirsty said, please borrow my slow cooker! (Kirsty had been planing a meal for when my parents were visiting. The second was when we joined the customer list of a local who kept Hens, to receive a dozen eggs a week! Only in the country!

Being back in a rural setting has been a fantastic reward to Kirsty and I and we had prayed for an opportunity to do so, though of course we were prepared to land wherever God led. I have had to find my feet as I transitioned from student to qualified worker, of course I have had to adapt to a new angle in my Ministry too. But I love my job and the community of Bakewell, I have been able to settle in and begin developing my own ideas, Godly Play and Mentoring in Primary Schools are two of these. I have also reflected on the challenge and reward of another area in my job, to sustain existing mission, to come alongside those groups established or in need of my support. I really feel this fits with my leadership style well. The schools work has been a real blessing and has been a catalyst in linking with the community, and the Methodist Chapels in them. In the Families side to my role I have been particularly excited to get to know varying family units, the joys they have and the challenges, the sharing of stories from ones experiences to another. This side to my role has made me realise that My family comes first!  My job, my Ministry is my life, I know that, but I have maintained the self Management that I first learned from my Line Manager in the first year of the degree, I never knew how amazingly liberating this thought would be! . I have learned the true meaning that "There is a time for everything, and a season for everything under the Heavens" (Ecclesiastes Ch 3 NIV).

Well I think that is probably enough for a first post! A whistle stop tour of some of what has happened in the past year.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for writing the guest posts for me! I've edited the last one to include a link to this blog, which should mean you start getting some "traffic" right away. :)

    ReplyDelete